Finding a physician job that fits your needs is a daunting task. Following leads, responding to emails and meeting with recruiters not only takes a lot of time, but also requires significant stamina and mental effort.
These three tips will speed up the search process and help you find job that's right for you.
1. Define your goals early
The first and perhaps most important step of your job search is to clearly define your goals and expectations. Without a firm set of objectives, you'll be more likely to spend unnecessary time chasing after positions that aren't right for you.
As you define your intentions, consider the following:
- Private practice or hospital: Are you looking to work within an established system, or do you want more control over day-to-day operations?
- Geography: Are you willing to move out of state? If so, make sure there's a demand for your specialty.
- Work culture: Every healthcare organization has a unique professional culture. Decide what would make one more desirable over another.
- Salary: You can't look at salary in a vacuum. Be sure to compare cost of living and work/life balance, as well.
Once you've established your goals, it's time to start searching.
2. Make sure you're looking in the right places
Take a look online and you'll find a plethora of websites and independent recruiting firms just waiting to help you find a job – but how do you know who to trust? These days, anyone can make a website and claim to be a recruiter, so choose a name you already know.
Then, start looking at the postings you find and compare them to your list of objectives. You may have to compromise on a few aspects of the position, but don't stray too far from your goals, or you could end up with a job you don't care for – you don't want to have to look for another job in six months.
3. Sign up for job alerts
Finding desirable physician jobs is a full-time task by itself, but it's hard to always stay online. If you don't want to miss out the newly posted job opportunity of your dreams, sign up for job alerts from your selected websites. No matter where you are, you'll get an automated notification sent straight to your inbox so you have a chance to respond immediately.
Now that you have a better understanding of how to streamline your job search, visit myHealthTalent.com to sign up for job alerts and bookmark the website as your career resource.